#1 Awaaz Parwaaz

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change’ – Charles Darwin

We are in unprecedented times under the wrath of the corona virus. Every day unfolds into an unexpected one. Social distancing will be the norm for sometime. We miss the meetups, the chai and the samosas, the awe and applause of those evenings. It is during such turbulent times, art is the biggest solace to keep us going in hope and spirit. 

We present to you Awaaz Parwaaz, a beta project where you can listen to our poets reciting their work. Each series will feature three poets from different languages reading their own work and an independent work read in one of our voices. Text of their poems have also been posted for you to listen, read and relish. Feel free to comment and share it in your circle.

In the first series of the podcast, we bring works and voices of Paresh Tiwari in English, Amitabh 'Anadh' and Manjeera Kotla in Hindi. The series ends with a poem 'Making a Fist' written by Naomi Shihab Nye read by G.Akila. 

'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' – Anne Frank


Pareidolia by Paresh Tiwari
Click to read
The first time you fold a kami crane, you are naked waist up. You lean over the wall on the east end, a pale sun spilling in through the rusting iron bars of the only window in the room. Inch-thick bars of sunlight rising and falling over the contoured landscape of your body. But what I remember most, is the way your thin fingers trace over the creases of stark-white paper. Three times each fold.

‘I want to fold a thousand cranes for you,’ you say, ‘One for every moment we get with each other.’

I don’t . . . can’t say anything. Just for a heartbeat. And then the moment is gone. From the thousand we were meant to have; I have lost one. Burnt to a cinder. A fleck of ash in the cup. Skimming the long-cold dregs of tea. 

a receding wave 
takes my footprints
early sunset 

You have this way of quantifying the unknown. Six hundred and forty-four cranes later, you announce, ‘When I die, you will move on in three days. Four at the max.' 

I don’t . . . can’t say anything. Just for a heartbeat.



Chetna by Amitabh 'Anadh'
Click to read
षुब्ध हूँ, निशब्द हूँ, आघात से स्तब्ध हूँ I
राख जो हुआ तो क्या, मैं फिर नया प्रारब्ध हूँ II

हूँ सूर्य की किरण में मैं, मैं मेघ भी पवन में मैं I
मैं अग्नि की ज्वाला प्रखर, हूँ पर्वतों का मैं शिखर I

नदियों में बहता नीर हूँ, मैं इस धरा का धीर हूँ I
झरने की कल-कल में मैं, मैं झील में, कमल में मैं II

जागते नयन में मैं, जो मूँद लो, स्वपन में मैं I
अम्बर का मैं विस्तार हूँ, हाँ, मैं क्षितिज के पार हूँ II

ह्रदय में रक्त बन बहूँ, मैं स्वास-स्वास में रहूँ I
न जीर्णता का बोध है, हर क्षण मेरा ही शोध है II

मैं हार हूँ मैं जीत हूँ, मैं द्वेष भी, मैं प्रीत हूँ I
जो अनकही हो अनसुनी, मैं ऐसी ही एक रीत हूँ II

रण हूँ मैं, हूँकार हूँ, मैं वज्र सा प्रहार हूँ I
पाषाण सा मैं दृढ अडिग, मैं शम्भू का संहार हूँ II

मुझे तू क्या मिटाएगा, भय मृत्यु का दिखाएगा I
मैं मर्त्य हूँ ये बोध है, मुझे तू क्या सिखाएगा II

पीड़ा ही तेरी प्रकृति, तू और क्या दे पाएगा?
न काल का प्रयाय तू, बस काल में समाएगा II

मनुष्य की अजेयता का, प्रत्यक्ष मैं प्रमाण हूँ
जो मैं नहीं, तो सौ खड़े, अमिट मैं दास्तान हूँ II



(Untitled) by Manjeera Kotla
Click to read
हे प्रभु तेरे रूप निराले
कभी तू कृष्ण
कभी शंकर मतवाले
कभी प्रेम के उल्लास में विलीन
कभी क्रोध भरे नैनोँवले
कभी तुम मेरे प्रीतम पुराने
कभी मित्र
कभी मेरे पिता सायने
हर रूप में मैने तुमको पूजा
हर रूप में तुम्हे अपनाया
मुझसे तुम्हारा अस्तित्व है बना
में ही तुम्हारा अक्स
मैं ही तुम्हारी काया
मैं ही राधा मैं ही पार्वती
मैं तुमसे अलग नही
मैं हूँ तुम्हारा साया
यह प्र्ण करो तुम की कभी दूर ना करोगे मुझे
और अपने अंदर समाए रखोगे
तेरे होने से मैने ईश्वर पाया
तेरी आराधना से मेरा रोम रोम मुस्काया

हे प्रभु तेरे रूप निराले
कभी कठोर शिवाय
कभी मेरे प्यारे बंसिवाले
तुम से बिछड़के क्या जियुं मैं
अब तो यह आत्मा भी तुम्हारे हवाले



Making a Fist by Naomi Shihab Nye [Recited by Akila G]
Click to readFor the first time, on the road north of Tampico,
I felt the life sliding out of me,
a drum in the desert, harder and harder to hear.
I was seven, I lay in the car
watching palm trees swirl a sickening pattern past the glass.
My stomach was a melon split wide inside my skin.

“How do you know if you are going to die?”
I begged my mother.
We had been traveling for days.
With strange confidence she answered,
“When you can no longer make a fist.”

Years later I smile to think of that journey,
the borders we must cross separately,
stamped with our unanswerable woes.
I who did not die, who am still living,
still lying in the backseat behind all my questions,
clenching and opening one small hand.


Comments

  1. Lovely guys !!!!!!!! Parrsh bhai - The back ground music and your words, your pauses and your muse... No words to share as there's so much to gain nd nothing to loose... Amitabh bhai -: Inspirational like always, full of energy and full of life... there's always a vision in ur piece which gives such a bright sight... Manjeera Mam - How well have you justified the differen incarnations
    of God.. this scintillating piece definitely strikes the chord...Akila Mam - Speech less... What a wonderful poem.. When do you know you are going to die... When you no longer can make a fist...the borders we must cross seperately... I had goosebumps listening to this piece... Brilliant voiceover to this amazing piece ..This made my day guys !!!! Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Concept. Giving the huddle experience on digital platform.
    Pareshji: When you recite you really make the listener to get a feel.
    Amitabhji: Your voice keeps giving us courage time to time.
    Manjeeraji: Awesome!
    Akila: Fan of your recitation and will always be

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment